12 students. 3 artist mentors. 1 vision to change the world.
This spring, WMA will be thinking outside of the box and reimagining what Out of the (Art)Box could be. We are looking for up to 12 area junior high and high school students who believe in art’s ability and power to create a better world. There will be no teams competing against each other, but rather one big team working together to create a catalyst for change. Those chosen for this project will work with professional artist mentors and a local organization to amplify their message and encourage action for their cause through an art-based solution conceived and created by this team.
If this seems vague, it’s because we want YOU to shape this experience! What issues do you feel we need to tackle? What issues do you think art can address? How is the best way to accomplish that? YOU tell us!
Are you ready to think outside the box?
HOW TO APPLY
- Send us a statement that explains how YOU think art can effect change. Tell us what you’re passionate about. How can art solve problems? Make sure you tell us what high school or junior high you attend and your grade level.
- Include a letter of reference from a teacher/mentor.
- Send your statement and your reference letter to firstname.lastname@example.org BY DECEMBER 30th, 2020.
Applications will be accepted from November 2 through December 30. Selected applicants will be notified on January 7th.
Timeline: The creation process will take place through virtual weekly meetings beginning on January 25 with the final project debuting on February 26. Team meetings will be held virtually and, if needed, the final product can be created virtually as well. We are monitoring the COVID 19 situation and will proceed with everyone’s safety and health in mind.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
A statement explaining how you think art can affect change.
What are you passionate about? How can art solve problems?
Name of junior high or high school you attend + grade level.
Letter of reference.
Typed recommendation from an art educator, teacher, or sponsor.
Be as creative as possible! This is the year WMA reinvents Art Box, and we need your ideas.
Send your statement and letter of reference (as separate attachments ) to email@example.com.
Out of the (Art) Box is sponsored by…
- November 2, 2020 – Out of the (Art) Box application window opens.
- December 30, 2020 – Out of the (Art) Box application window closes. Statement and reference letters must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- January 7, 2020 – Notification of 12 selected individual participants.
- January 25, 2021: Weekly virtual meetings with mentors begin.
- February 26, 2021: Final Out of the (Art) Box project debuts.